CONGRATS to APRIL WALSH and her puppy for winning this weeks Photo. We saw some of the cutest dogs on the water this week. Water can be a great source of fun for you and your dog. Before you take your pooch out for a paddle, though, make sure you know how to keep things safe.
At the Beach
While you enjoy the surf with your pal, keep these tips in mind:
- Watch out for strong currents and rip tides, which can take you both out to sea. Even the best swimmer can be in danger when seas are rough.
- Don’t let your dog drink ocean water. It can make him sick. Bring fresh H2O with you to keep him hydrated.
- Keep your pal away from fish that have washed onto the shore. They may smell great to him, but they can make him ill.
At the Pool
- Put a fence around it to keep your dog out when it isn’t time to swim.
- Keep a sturdy cover over it when you aren’t using it. It should be made of a material that lets rainwater drain through. Dogs can drown in puddles on top of pool covers.
- Teach your dog how to get in and out. Make sure there are steps or a ramp he can use to climb out.
- Check the water temperature before letting your dog take a dip. Only a few breeds can handle extra-cold water.