Grouper… it’s the real reason some folk come to Florida, at all. We have 20 plus common varieties inhabiting shallow, mid-depth and deep waters. Red Grouper swims in the 50-100′ range and is one of the favorites in many, many kitchens for its mild, slightly sweet taste. Couple this with a savory Poblano foundation and you have a true winner!
Creamy Poblano Red Grouper Tacos – Ingredients
- Red Grouper Fillet: 1+ pound, Cut into strips
- Seasoning: Mexi Rub: 2 Tbsp *
- Butter: 2 Tbsp
The Creamy Poblano
- Poblano Peppers: 6-8, Roasted & Peeled
- Jalapeno’s: 3, julienned and deseeded
- White Onion: 1/2 Onion
- Garlic: 1 clove pressed
- Mexican Crema or Sour Cream: 1/2 Cup
- Cooking Oil: 2 Tbsp
- Corn Tortillas
- Grilled Corn: 1 Ear, Grilled or Broiled
- Butter: 2 Tbsp (for the corn)
- Lime Wedges
Creamy Poblano Red Grouper Tacos – Prep – Cook – Serve
Poblano Peppers and Corn Prep
In preparation for the rest of the meal, the poblanos and the ear of corn may be prepared on either a grill or under the broiler in your oven.
- The poblanos need to be roasted/grilled, turning as needed to hit the entire surface of each pepper, until the skin has blackened then set aside in a covered container to sweat. After 15-20 minutes the skin can be removed and the peppers deseeded. Slice the peppers in 1/4 inch strips and set aside.
- The ear of corn should be roasted/grilled, brushing with butter and turning as needed until the kernels are a deep golden brown and some have started to blacken as well. Let cool and cut from the cob. Set aside for later assembly
The Grouper and Creamy Poblano
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil to medium high in a skillet. Char the jalapenos, remove to the side when done. Reduce heat on skillet to medium.
- Sprinkle your Mexi Rub on the Grouper strips. (* Mexi Rub is any mixture of your favorite mexican spices… I use a combo of finely ground chiles, creole seasoning and masa harina.
- Add butter to cooled skillet and cook the Grouper strips 1 minute on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside for taco assembly.
- Still at medium heat, add the remaining oil to the skillet.
- Sauté the onion for 1 minute
- Add in the garlic, poblanos and jalapeno slices. Sauté the mixture another 1 minute.
- Stir in the crema and cook the mixture for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Spread the creamy poblano mixture on warmed plated tortillas.
- Place one Grouper strip per tortilla.
- Add corn kernels, liberally.
- Sprinkle cilantro as desired.
- Serve with lime wedges
Bon Appetit and tight lines.