Old Salt had a very busy 2018, with a full calendar of tournaments, angler seminars and meetings, family seawall fishing events and youth programs. Old Salt held the Silver Anniversary (25 years) Spring and Fall King of the Beach fishing tournaments hosting over 1100 teams across the two events. Teams came from across the country and, indeed, across the world to fish the preeminent King Mackerel fishing tournament in the United States of America. The success of these two tournaments helped grow funding allowing Old Salt and our hundreds of volunteers to be an even greater advocate and partner to the fishing community.
This past year, with your vigorous assistance, Old Salt good works extended to include:
- Generous financial support to local charities: PARC ($10K Donation), National Pediatric Cancer Foundation ($10K Donation), Celma Mastry Ovarian Cancer Foundation ($5K Donation) and the City of Madeira Beach
- Partnered with 13 Fishing and Fish Florida to distribute over 1000 fishing rods to children at our King of the Beach Fishing Tournaments, the Big Brothers- Big Sisters Fishing Day and National Pediatric Cancer Foundation Kids Fishing Rodeo
- Educational seminars and trips with our local youth to the Clearwater Aquarium
- Awarded college scholarships to four local high school students
- Rod /Reel combos provided to every youth that weighed a fish at both King of the Beach tournaments
- Partnered with IGFA to put on the Kids Fishing Slam at the 2018 Fall King of the Beach kingfish Tournament
- Fishing adventures for children in the Madeira Beach Recreation Center Summer Camp Program
- Hosted 45 special needs children and their families at our annual Special Needs Fishing Day with partner LIFT and Special Olympics – every child, including siblings, left with a rod/reel combo.
- Financial support for the Adopt A Mile Program here in Madeira Beach
- $20,000 in funding to the foundation for 2019 youth and family programs
Old Salt is entirely volunteer powered and, generously, sponsor supported. We owe our existence and success to those who share an abiding interest in continuing a strong fishing tradition including all of our tournament anglers and the hard working Old Salt Board of directors.
Thank you all.